Tuesday, June 13, 2017

TODD's Book Review: Ahiman

When Greg Knott and I were in Washington D.C. back in February for Masonic Week, we ran into Shawn Eyer.  I got a book from him--he even signed mine "To the Midnight Freemason."  I just got to it last week and had a tough time putting it down.  I don't write many book reviews, but this one was fantastic and I really wanted to share it with my readers.


Ahiman: A review of Masonic Culture & Tradition is a new Masonic journal, and it's a great collection of Masonic papers, old and new, on a variety of topics: ritual, symbolism, philosophy, art, and research.  The thing I enjoyed about it in particular, was that Shawn put together a collection that is extremely readable--addictively so.  And the topics are selected so that any Mason, from the newest Master Mason to the Mason who has toiled some years in the quarry, will gain something from it.  Extremely well balanced in its approach, I'm looking forward to future volumes.

I don't do a lot of recreational reading anymore.  I read constantly, but I'm usually reading something for research purposes because I'm writing something or because I want to broaden my understanding of a particular topic.  That kind of reading isn't often that pleasurable--academic works, particularly those on Freemasonry, can tend to be a little dry.  But this book went from being in my "research" category to becoming recreational reading very quickly.

So check it out.  It is available on Amazon.  Well worth the price of admission.  


~Todd E. Creason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...